SIXTH BIENNIAL COUSE FOUNDATION
GALA & ART AUCTION
5 PM JUNE 15, 2019 | TAOS, NEW MEXICO
An elegant evening for more than 200 guests at El Monte Sagrado Resort, including cocktail reception, silent auction, live auction, dinner in a tent on the lawn, and musical entertainment and dancing.
Tickets are $175 each and are currently sold out. If you have previously contacted the office about reservations, or would like to be placed on a waiting list should seats become available, please contact us at email@example.com or 575-751-0369 to inquire.
Proxy bidding is available; call 575-751-0369 to make arrangements.
Official sponsors of The Couse Foundation Sixth Biennial Gala & Art Auction are Heritage Hotels, Centinel Bank of Taos, Heritage Auctions, Parsons Fine Art, Addison Rowe Fine Art, Brian Lebel's Old West Events, Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, Owings Gallery, Tres Estrellas Gallery, and Zaplin Lampert Gallery.
In the Rio Grande Ballroom. We are fortunate to again welcome Alissa Ford from Heritage Auctions as our auctioneer for an impressive selection of Western and regional art, both historic and contemporary.
Represented artists include:
- Bill Acheff (painting) - E. Martin Hennings (print)
- Jozef Bakos (painting) - Marie Romero Cash (altar screen)
- Randy LaGro (painting) - Cara Romero (photograph)
- Kang Cho (painting) - Sheldon Harvey (wood sculpture)
- Glenn Dean (painting) - Ira Lujan & Kacey Jones (glass sculpture)
- Logan Maxwell Hagege (painting) - Brett Allen Johnson (painting)
- Jerry Jordan (painting) - Gene Kloss (watercolor)
- Barbara Latham (painting) - Jivan Lee (painting)
- Nicholas Coleman (painting) - Donald Barton (painting)
- Ed Smida (bronze sculpture)
See live auction preview here; check back for updates as we acquire images of work. No in-person preview will be available before the Gala.
In the Rio Grande Ballroom foyer. Includes carefully curated items such as smaller paintings, prints, gift certificates, books, Native pottery, and more.
Represented artists include:
- O.E. Berninghaus (paper bas-relief) - Derek No-Sun Brown (drawing)
- Arturo Chavez (painting) - Geoffrey Lasko (lithograph)
- Angie Coleman (woodblock print) - Earl Stroh (lithograph)
- Medicine Man Gallery (book) - Jeremy Landau (photograph)
- Gene Kloss (intaglio) - Phil Epp (painting)
- Dustin Leavitt (mixed media) - McTague Appraisers (appraisal gift certificate)
- Jocelyn Martinez (scratchboard) - Jody Naranjo (Pueblo pottery)
- Dean Porter (watercolor) - C. S. Talley (painting)
- Historic Pueblo pottery - Aaron Garlick (portrait gift certificate)
- Carla Bogdanoff (weaving) - Barbara Sparks (photograph & book)
- Chloe Gaillard (painting)
See silent auction preview here; check back for updates as we acquire images of work. No in-person preview will be available before the Gala.
Custom Cowboy Hardhats
A special silent auction feature this year is an array of cowboy-hat-style hardhats decorated on commission by Derek No-Sun Brown, John Farnsworth, Susan Folwell, Chloe Gaillard, Jerry Jordan, and Ed Sandoval.
Throughout Gala weekend, we’ve planned other exciting events:
• Friday, June 14, 5-7 p.m. – Wine and hors d'oeuvres reception with “hardhat tours” of our future museum facility that includes The Lunder Research Center. Book signing events with scholars of the Taos Society of Artists. Opening of temporary exhibition Joseph Henry Sharp's Montana in the 1915 Sharp Studio. Open to gala attendees and invited guests only; RSVP required.
• Saturday, June 15, 10-11 a.m. – “So me for the North and snow!”: Joseph Henry Sharp’s Montana. Lecture by Dr. Marie Watkins at the Harwood Museum of Art. Open to the public; $10 general admission, $8 Harwood members. Seating is limited; advance tickets suggested. Click here for more information.
• Sunday, June 16, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Special CSHS open house with book launch of Eanger Irving Couse: The Life and Times of an American Artist, 1866-1936, the definitive biography of Couse by his granddaughter Virginia Couse Leavitt; the author will be signing copies, which will be available for sale. Visitors can also tour the temporary exhibition Taos Pueblo Portraiture: The Photographic Studies of E. I. Couse in the site’s 1835 Luna Chapel and the permanent rotating exhibition J. H. Sharp: The Life and Work of an American Legend, refreshed this season with artwork, ephemera, and objects from his personal collection. Open to the public; free admission.
Proceeds from all events benefit The Couse Foundation and Couse-Sharp Historic Site.
EL MONTE SAGRADO
$309 - $349 per night
Group Code: 190615COUS
Contact: To reserve, use this link
or call 855-846-8267 and identify yourself as part of the Couse Foundation event
317 Kit Carson Rd, Taos, NM 87571
a few rooms available for 6/14 and 6/15
$105 - $199
Release Date: May 15
Group Name: Couse Sharp Foundation Gala 2019, #45252
Contact: Tessy, Front Desk Manager
137 Kit Carson Rd, Taos, NM 87571
OLD TAOS GUESTHOUSE INN
$149 - $205, less 10% off for Gala guests
Group Name: Couse Sharp Foundation Gala 2019
Contact: Bob and Cady Aspinwall, owners
1028 Witt Road, Taos, NM 87571
$172 - $193, which reflects a 10% discount
Group Name: Couse Sharp Gala
Contact: Julie Sena, Front Desk Manager (reserve with Julie to receive discount)
125 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte, Taos, NM 87571
Rates approximately $195 - $275 less 10% discount to Gala guests
Group Name: Couse Sharp Gala 2019
Contact: Richard Spera, owner
613 Callejon, Taos, NM 87571
HOTEL LA FONDA DE TAOS
7 Deluxe rooms held (lesser rooms also available)
Release Date: May 14
Block Name: Couse Sharp Foundation Gala 2019
Contact: Steven Slick, Reservations Manager
108 S Plaza, Taos, NM 87571
BURCH STREET CASITAS
$120-$140, 4 night minimum
Group Name: Couse Foundation Gala
Contact: Jim and Nancy Schlarbaum, owners
310 Burch Street, Taos NM 87571
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 575-751-0369
Thayer Carter, Artist Palette, Limited Edition Woodcut