Studios / Sharp 2
Sharp Studio 2
Sharp's second studio, completed in 1915, began as a small house which he enlarged into a two-story structure, with an enormous studio window to the north and a loft at the south end, from which he hung some of his extensive collection of Indian costumes and artifacts. In one corner of the studio by the kiva fireplace is a round window with a square frame which appears in some of his paintings. After returning from a trip to Egypt in 1914, Sharp decided to remodel his outhouse in the configuration of an Egyptian mastaba, and called it “Little Egypt.” The building still exists next to his studio.
The studio is currently undergoing restoration, and will re-open to the public in June 2017 with a permanent interpretive exhibition dedicated to the life and work of J.H. Sharp.